Columns | How would legislation requiring full-day kindergarten affect suburban schools?
If Gov. J.B. Pritzker signs a bill requiring full-day kindergarten in all elementary and unit school districts in four years, at least nine suburban districts would be affected. That's according to a Daily Herald analysis of 80 suburban school district kindergarten offerings in five counties.
Education | As ChatGPT continues to evolve, educators are figuring out its place in the classroomOnly months old, ChatGPT has stirred debate as educators try to figure out where this new tool fits in their classrooms, if at all. Across the suburbs, reactions have been mixed, but many view the AI-powered chatbot as a powerful companion in the classroom.
Lake County | As ticks expand throughout the state, experts say prevention remains keyAs evidence grows that tick species in Illinois are expanding in range, researchers and health departments have buffed up surveillance of the arachnid -- but they say awareness and prevention remain our best defense against it.
News | Biden, GOP reach tentative deal to raise debt ceiling, avoid calamitous US defaultPresident Joe Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy reached an "agreement in principle" late Saturday as they raced to strike a deal to limit federal spending and resolve the looming debt crisis ahead of a June 5 deadline, the House speaker said.
Business | BizWeek: Many travelers over holiday weekend; mall redevelopment to begin next stageThe Week in Business: The roads should be busy Memorial Day weekend; Hawthorn mall redevelopment begins next stage
Entertainment | Make a splash at 9 suburban water parks this summerTime to grab a swimsuit, beach towels and most importantly sunscreen as suburban water parks are reopening Memorial Day weekend. Here are nine options for where to cool off this summer.
Special Report | Suburban Skyview: They're still cutting the grass at shuttered Arlington Park racetrackIn this week's Suburban Skyview column, grounds crew members maintain the land at the shuttered Arlington Park racetrack in Arlington Heights.
News | 'Each has served with honor': Vernon Hills banner program honors veterans, those servingResidents who have served or are serving in the armed forces are being honored on village streets as part of the Vernon Hills Honors Military Banner Program.
Lake County | Antioch-area man charged with sexually abusing teen girlA 25-year-old Antioch-area man faces charges alleging he sexually abused a 13-year-old girl after picking her up at a Wisconsin home and taking her to his residence, authorities said Sunday.
Columns | Facts Matter: Smoke near Pentagon photo shows incident that didn't happenIn this week's Facts Matter column, Bob Oswald explores claims that a fire occurred near the Pentagon, former President Trump released an incoherent rant on Truth Social, students heckled President Biden at the University of Pennsylvania and more.
News | Buffalo Grove man, 80, missing, possibly endangeredPolice are asking for the public's help in locating an 80-year-old Buffalo Grove man who went missing Saturday night and may be endangered.
Entertainment | Plan ahead for Memorial Day weekend parades, services and festivalsMemorial Day is Monday, May 29. Events this week and over the weekend include parades and services in honor of those who made the ultimate sacrifice, as well as festivals and concerts.
- 8:14 AMWhat's next on the debt ceiling: Selling the plan and making a deal into a law
- 8:14 AMGovernment tries to claw back money so Jan. 6 rioters don't profit from online appeals
- 8:14 AMVoters in Turkey choose between Erdogan and Kilicdaroglu in presidential runoff
- 8:14 AMDiverse Republican presidential primary field sees an opening in 2024 with voters of color
- 2:57 PMFuneral set for Kane County police dog killed in shootout
Recommended for You
More Suburban News Find your community
- WaukeganNorth Chicago woman charged in Waukegan double shooting
- Prep SportsBaseball: Barrington gets payback, beats Mundelein for regional title
- Prep SportsBaseball: Burlington Central starts fast, blows out Sterling for regional title
- Prep SportsBaseball: Dorchies' gem leads Cary-Grove past Prairie Ridge to regional title
- Prep SportsBaseball: Big fourth inning sends St. Charles East past Schaumburg for regional crown
- Prep SportsBaseball: Bohr's RBI triple fuels Batavia rally against No. 2 St. Charles North
- Prep SportsIC Catholic celebrates fourth-place finish in Class 1A
- Prep SportsBaseball: Jacobs comes back in seventh to top McHenry for regional title
- Prep SportsBaseball: Janicki's walkoff homer leads Downers Grove North past Hinsdale Central
- Prep SportsSoftball: Kaneland breaks through late, tops Harvard to capture Class 3A regional title
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: St. Charles North stuns St. Charles East with pair of last-second goals
- Prep SportsBaseball: Ressler no-hits Hampshire, sends Huntley to sectionals
- 1:06 AMChicago's Painted Ladies Competition recognizes value in repainting a home's exterior
- 12:56 AM'It Sounds Like Summer' at the Huntley Area Public Library
- 12:51 AMFrom Santa to suicide: Addressing the youth mental health crisis in America
- 12:48 AMAdvocate neurosurgeon talks about why 'warning strokes' require emergency attention
- 12:46 AMFox River Arts Ramble features art, food and music June 3
- 12:21 AMSkillsUSA Illinois names ECC's Carriveau board chairman
- 11:43 PMFoundation awards grants to Villa Park Elementary District 45 staff
- 11:35 PMVilla Park police joins Illinois 'Click It or Ticket' campaign to save lives
Inside Daily Herald